Walk This Way

I was fortunate enough to go to an Aerosmith concert last Wednesday night. The concert was originally supposed to be Tuesday night but was postponed because Steven Tyler fell and injured himself – shocker, his mouth was the part that took the hit. A Paraguayan dentist patched him up and the show went on in full force. The venue was packed (with a record breaking number of attendees) and I watched the majority of the concert from my perch on a light pole high above the rest of the crowd. Security didn’t bat an eye – definitely not the US. (I also saw a person “mowing” their lawn the other day with a machete; another indication that I am not in the US.)
 
This is what Steven Tyler looked like after his tumble. (Unfortunately I did not personally take this picture.) He still had a nice shiner for the show, but showed no sign of hillbilly-ness.
 
The morning after the concert I had another run-in with fame. This time it was Barney showing up for a birthday party at the preschool. Obviously Paraguay is the place to be.
                                               
 
Halloween is pseudo-celebrated here. There are decorations in stores, several costume parties at clubs, and little kids dress up at school, but there is no trick-or-treating and no pumpkin carving (and since it is currently Spring here, no Fall colors). It is more an imitation of a US Halloween and not their own tradition. My family didn’t officially do anything special for the holiday, but we got all dolled up to go to a wedding Saturday night. This was my scariest costume to date.
Here I am at the wedding with the sisters and cousins. Paraguayan weddings have a tradition of a “hat dance” so they gave out foam hats and masks for all of us (nothing to do with Halloween).
                           
   
We went out one night and I taught my host relatives how to make thizz faces (if you are familiar with this dance, you can see they can still use a little work). I have also taught them how to do the YMCA, electric slide, Dougie (my butchered version), and to move like Bernie. You’re welcome, America.
 
      
One of my coworkers at the preschool, Daicy, has become a good friend of mine. She is amazingly good-hearted and one of the hardest workers I have ever met. She has shown me another side of Paraguay and I have fallen in love with her family. I went to their house and prepared pancakes, french toast, and s'mores for them while they prepared a typical Paraguayan meal of tortilla (deep fried scrambled egg), cocido (mate burned with sugar and then added to milk), and salad.
    
Tomorrow I leave for a trip through Argentina until November 24. Let the travels begin!

Comments

Popular Posts